Easy Steps to be a Successful Man
The definition of a successful man changes every decade. We’ve evolved from a species trying to evade death during childbirth in the 20th Century to eradicating Polio from our country in 2014. But what defines a successful man? Primarily, for the 70% of our population, it is putting food on the table; but they ain’t reading this article. The matrix is way different for the middle and upper-middle class man in the 21st century.
We are now living in a time where you are supposed to get married by your mid-twenties. For the upper-middle, owning a car in your late twenties and your own house (not your daddy’s) by your early thirties says that you’ve arrived in life. That Is Bull’s Shit! Say “Fuck You” to the modern social conventions! I am pro-setting benchmarks and setting a timeline to it, but it has to come from you, and not your distant uncle from Birmingham or Jersey. Your family, or the ones around you, can’t decide the definition of success for you.
The expectation that you have to land on your feet without fail, every damn time, builds up an enormous amount of pressure, and that’s irrefutable. They’ll say that you have the power. But, they miss the pressure, and you can’t talk about it. It might be a bane, but that’s the only cost of being a man. But remember, everyone evolves in their own time, and the key is not to stop the hustle. Not everyone can be a billionaire like Kylie Jenner at 21 years of age; and just so you know, the youngest billionaires in the world are women – Alexandra Andresen 22, Katharina Andresen 23.
So what are the steps to be a successful man?
- Start with making your own bed. If you already do, kudos to you. If not, it’s about damn time – grow up! Even at the end of a messed up day, the satisfaction of sleeping in a neat bed which is made you is something else.
- Do the heavy lifting in the house and outside. Women shouldn’t have to deal with that – not because they can’t, but because they shouldn’t. You are biologically designed to do that.
- Chivalry is obsolescent: let’s bring it back. I’m not gonna tell you what to do. Read a book or watch films which date back 30-40 years. Trust me, chivalry is sexy because of its dying existence.
- Family comes first. This might sound preachy and filmy but the reason behind your existence is two people dedicated to creating a life. you might as well give them the preference that they earned.
- Having said what I did in the earlier point, you don’t have to follow a point of view from your family when it comes to your work life if it goes against what you think is right. The probability of you being wrong is 50/50. Follow your gut.
- Make 19th November a day to celebrate the stress, tension, and pressure which you go through the whole year.
Don’t Fuck Up. Man Up!